Tuesday 9 July 2013

'My dream is to play for President Obama' - 9 Year-Old Drummer Boy

Giving back: Malachi says he would like to learn how to play the piano, violin and saxophone, and pass on his knowledge to other young people Hopes and dreams: Nine-year-old drumming prodigy Malachi Samedy is hoping that his musical talent will take him all the way to the White HouseNaturally talented: Malachi, pictured here with his father Nasser, quickly progressed and was admitted to music school aged four Owning the stage: Malachi performing when he was four years old

A drumming prodigy, who got his first percussion kit when he was just 18 months old, is hoping that his impressive musical talent will take him all the way to the White House. 

Malachi Samedy, aged nine, from New Jersey, has been performing professionally for the past four years and now has his sights set on playing for President Obama.

In a HooplaHa.com video the adorable musician explains that it would be his dream gig. 'I know when I play for [him] that I’m at the top of my game,' he adds.

Malachi's parents say that he started drumming before he could walk and would constantly tap crayons and pencils on books and the dinner table.


His father Nasser recalled: 'He would just bang on everything. My wife was saying, "You know, he's a drummer". And I'm like: "He's a kid, he's not a drummer, he's a kid."'
They got him drumsticks and a drum pad when he was 18 months old and shortly after he received his first drum set complete with cymbals and hi-hat stand.

Aged four he was admitted to Mark Murphy's School of Music in New Jersey and performed on stage a year later.
'What I like about drumming is that I get to let myself free and play what I feel,' the youngster says.
'If I'm sad I get to play a sad song . . . If I'm happy I get to play a really happy song.'


Making music: The talented youngster received his first drum kit when he was just 18 months old  

Grammy Award-winning jazz pianist, Preston Vismlala says that when he plays with Malachi he forgets that he's just a child.
'To be honest sometimes I think I’m playing with a grown man. I play and I look up and go: "He's a kid?"'
And Roy Wooten, another established player on the jazz scene, describes Malachi as ten jazz musicians ‘wrapped up in one little body’ and ‘swinging like an old soul.’

But Malachi isn't the only musically-talented member in his family. His father Nasser plays the bass guitar and has collaborated with artists including Janet Jackson and Paula Abdul.
His grandfather was also a percussionist.

Talking about his son's drumming ability, Mr Samedy said: 'It’s been a wonderful journey just watching him grow, watching him learn and how he absorbs the music.

'I want him to be happy and I want him to follow his passion.'
Along with performing for President Obama, Malachi says he would like to learn how to play the piano, violin and saxophone, and pass on his knowledge to other young people.
Commenting on his drumming skills, he cooly replied: 'I have no idea how I do it.'

 

-dailymail 

No comments:

Post a Comment