Tuesday 28 October 2014

I Am From Lagos - Desmond Elliot

Desmond Elliot and Youth 2Desmond Elliot and Youth 2

As the 2015 general election draws near, Nigerians have been reacting to the current trend of celebrities joining the race. While some have the backing of their people others have been criticized. 

Popular Nigerian Actor and movie director turned politician, Desmond Elliot who has declared his intention to represent Surulere constituency in Lagos State House of Assembly under APC was mocked when he added “Olusola” to his campaign name with many claiming he is not from Lagos.

Speaking with City People in a recent interview, Desmond said: 
“I am from Lagos state. My father is from Olowogbowo in Lagos Island but my mother is from Delta state. I refer to myself as being a Pan-African. People don’t believe I am a Lagosian because I seldom act in Yoruba movies. And I didn’t include the Shola in my name. Then because my surname is also English, many couldn’t differentiate which made people confused of where exactly I am from. I am very detribalised. People of my constituency know my story and know where I come from. I have always used Shola in my primary school days. I went to Air Force Primary School in Plateau and later attended St John’s College, both in Jos. I proceeded to Lagos State University where I studied Economics and graduated in 2003.″

No comments:

Post a Comment