Tuesday 25 March 2014

Kelly Handsome Explains Why He Performed With A Coffin


Kelly Handsome recently shocked his audience during one of his shows in Owerri where he had to be carried to the stage in a coffin. Kelly finally sat down with Nigerian Tribune where he said he took the daring move to revive his dead musical career.

“You recently performed on stage where you came out from a coffin. Where did you get that idea from?

I’m at that point in my life when many believe that Kelly Hansome’s musical career is dead; so I thought of a concept that would best depict my comeback, and that was what I came up with. It wasn’t an easy decision but I had to take the bull by the horn,’

Read the full interview after the cut.

We haven’t heard much from you lately.
Well, I just rounded off my BSc programme and I’m getting ready for my Masters.
What else have you been doing aside schooling?
I have been making great music and beats as always and, most importantly, getting ready to make a  comeback.
Why did you decide to go back to school considering all the money you’ve made in the Nigeria music industry?
I just took a break to improve myself and become a better man. Though it’s stressful, I must say, determination has been a good friend.
You recently performed on stage where you came out from a coffin. Where did you get that idea from?
I’m at that point in my life when many believe that Kelly Hansome’s musical career is dead; so I thought of a concept that would best depict my comeback, and that was what I came up with. It wasn’t an easy decision but I had to take the bull by the horn.
And what was the feedback you got from fans?
They loved it.
How fashionable are you?
Looking good is good business. I love looking and smelling good. But my favourite is the ‘suit and tie’ look.
                                             
I guess that was why you got your first tattoo for $4000...
Well, obviously; but the tattoo is not really for fashion. What I have written on my body is an inspirational message.
What’s the message?
The one I got on my arm means ‘Work Hard Stay Humble’. I have another one on my chest which means ‘We built America’.
 
Tell me about your growing up years
Growing up was fun. I was an altar boy back then; I used to serve mass in church.
Altar boys are usually good boys, but music makes people bad because of ladies, alcohol and all. Isn’t that true?
Being bad is a choice; it’s got nothing to do with the altar – including altar boys and the Catholic mass service and servers in general.
So, are you still a good boy?
It’s a sacred and prestigious experience. God knows that, but nobody is perfect. Life itself in general is a journey, so sometime, one has to stumble.
Celebrities have been getting married lately. When will wedding bells toll for Kelly Hansome?
To be frank, it’s a good development and I’m sincerely happy for them. When it’s my turn, I’ll turn up. Once you get married, I’ll follow.
Okay, reports say that you and MI ended a five-year-long dispute by performing on stage together. What exactly caused the misunderstanding between you in the first instance?
The cause of the rift is not important; I think what really matters is that everyone is craving and anticipating that MI/Kelly Hansome killer tune. It will soon be released. Stay tuned.
But it really caused uproar on Twitter
What caused uproar?
People said you were just tweet-fighting MI to gain attention. Is it true?
I refuse to be disturbed by what people say or think because all that is irrelevant. There’s no smoke without fire, but let them do their job. Truth is attention is seeking me; I’m sick of it!
When did you have your first kiss?
I can’t remember. I’m not really much of a kisser, but when I do, I do it well.
Who are the best rappers we currently have in Nigeria?
My homie, MI, is a cold microphone killer. I think he should be arrested and with first degree murder. Modenine’s been on it for a minute; he has good punch lines. Vector and Phenom are also great.

It was said that you vowed never to forgive Kennis Music. Can you shed some light on this?
I’ve been loyal to my boss, Kenny Ogungbe, from day one. I still am. Moreover, to err is human and to forgive divine. They helped to make it bigger with the videos – which was a great boost. All thanks to God Almighty, my parents, the entire Primetime Africa/Kennis Music family and world-famous Keke and D1. They all did a great job and God will continue to bless them. We’re all cool, just like old times
.

No comments:

Post a Comment